User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Trucks World News: So you want to be a truck driver * USA
Google
 
Loading

Apr 24, 2007

So you want to be a truck driver * USA

Who are Truck Drivers?... Why does one want to become a truck driver?... Where do truck drivers come from?Is it an easy job?... What training do I need?...

Winter Haven,Fl,USA -Flat Tire, by W. J. Andy Andrews (originally published: March 1, 2007) -23 April 2007: -- There are endless questions and equally endless answers, but deep down inside I think we really enjoy what we do. OK. Stop right there... If you were to listen to many drivers you would think that most hated their jobs, the people they deal with, the DOT, Police, 4 wheelers the company they work for and on and on. Now after that’s over, ask one what he or she would rather do and not too many would pick any other profession. No one I’ve talked to would want to work in an office, or punch a time clock or have a boss or manager hanging around... To an outsider, driving a truck seems simple work, but there are challenges apart from traffic. There’s weights, appointment times, schedules, equipment problems, log books that need to be accurate, weather, road construction and accident holdups to contend with. But when you get right down to it, I think there’s a certain freedom in the work... You get to go and see places you otherwise wouldn’t see. You’re on your own most of the time and some people like that. Truthfully, I think it gets in your blood. I’ve retired twice from trucking and where am I now? Right back in it. My youngest daughter says I’ll retire when they pry my cold stiff fingers off the steering wheel. Maybe she’s right, I don’t know... To easiest way for a person to get started in trucking is to find a company that will train their own drivers. The downside is that you usually are committed to that company for about a year. There are numerous driving schools around the country. If there is a trucking company near you, call their recruiter and ask for advice on a good school... When you are first hired you will spend some time with a trainer until he feels you are ready to go solo. Don’t be intimidated by the size of a truck and trailer. Frankly I find it easier to drive a truck than I do a car. That may sound odd, but after a while you will understand what I mean... (Photo: W. J. Andy Andrews and the truck he drive)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home